United Way of Acadiana Offering Free Tax Prep
The holidays are still being celebrated, but looming right around the corner is the dreaded April 15th deadline to file your federal and state income taxes. #UGH. A lot of folks get right on the unpleasant task, and some....well, you know who you are.
But there's help out there, folks. Among the many programs being offered by United Way of Acadiana, you can add free tax preparation for qualifying families. According to a new press release, if you are employed and had a household income below $54,000 in 2019, you may be eligible for free tax preparation services, and a quick refund. You could also be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is a benefit for working people with low to moderate income.
Before you go to any of the locations offering these services, make sure you bring the following:
- Driver's License
- Social Security Card
- W2s and other tax documents
Over 3,000 Acadiana residents were helped by the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program last year. The VITA sites for 2020 are listed below. Good luck, y'all!
- ASSIST Agency11 North Parkerson Avenue, Crowley, LA 70526(337) 788-7550Opening Day: January 15Monday & Wednesday: 8:30 am - 3:00 pm (appointment only)Tuesday & Thursday: 8:30 am - 3:00 pm (walk-ups welcome)
- VITA Ad Hoc126 East Main Street, Ville Plate, LA 70586(337) 943-2410Opening Day: January 15Monday, Tuesday & Thursday: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm (appointment only)
- SMILE Community Action Agency722 Walton Street, New Iberia, LA 70560(337) 365-8151Opening Day: January 15Monday - Thurdsay: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (appointment only)
- Acadiana High School315 Rue Du Belier Street, Lafayette, LA 70506(337) 230-3757Drop-off services only. Please call for appointment and instructions.Lafayette Library's Main Branch301 Congress Street, Lafayette, LA 70501Walk-ups welcomeJanuary 21: 6:00 - 8:00 pmFebruary 4: 6:00 - 8:00 pmFebruary 11: 6:00 - 8:00 pmFebruary 18: 6:00 - 8:00 pmFebruary 29: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm (Super Tax Day)March 14: 9:00 am - 2:00 pmMarch 17: 6:00 - 8:00 pmMarch 24: 6:00 - 8:00 pmMarch 31: 6:00 - 8:00 pmApril 4: 9:00 am - 1:00 pmNorthside High School301 Dunand Street, Lafayette, LA 70501(337) 255-5976Walk-ups welcomeFebruary 22: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm (Super Tax Day)March 7: 9:00 am - 2:00 pmMarch 21: 9:00 am - 2:00 pmApril 4: 9:00 am - 2:00 pmSMILE Community Action Agency501 St. John Street, Lafayette, LA 70501(337) 234-3272Opening Day: January 15Monday – Thursday: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
St Landry Parish:
- Sustainable Agriculture & Development Institute1209 Diesi Street, Opelousas, LA 70570(337) 943-2410Opening Day: January 15Monday - Friday: 4:30 - 6:00 pmSaturday: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
St Martin Parish:
- SMILE Community Action Agency2097 Terrace Road, St. Martinville, LA 70582(337) 394-6014Opening Day: January 15Tuesday – Friday: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm (appointment only)
- ASSIST Agency407 Charity Street, Abbeville, LA 70510(337) 898-9554Opening Day: January 15Monday & Wednesday: 8:30 am - 3:00 pm (appointment only)Tuesday & Thursday: 8:30 am - 3:00 pm (walk-ups welcome)