A downstairs apartment in the 1000 block of Robley Drive had fire and water damage after a fire broke out on the patio.

One of the people who lives in that unit at Peppertree Apartments called 911 last night after noticing that the patio of their home was on fire.

Just over two dozen Lafayette firefighters responded to the blaze, and they were able to put the fire out in about ten minutes, in part, thanks to one of the people who lives there.

The person who called authorities about the fire thought quickly and grabbed a fire extinguisher according to Lafayette Fire Department Spokesman Alton Trahan.

He says that the person was an integral part of helping to keep the fire damage to just the patio at the downstairs apartment even though flames were starting to crawl up the side of that building.

The patio area ended up suffering water and fire damage, but thankfully no one was hurt because of this blaze. The inside of that apartment unit suffered water and smoke damage due to the blaze. As far as their neighbors on top, that unit only had to deal with some smoke damage.

Trahan says they investigated, and they determined that this was an accident. As far as what actually caused the fire to start, he says a cigarette was not fully extinguished.

The people who live in that apartment are now having to find a new place to live because they didn't properly put out their cigarette.