Firefighters from St. Tammany’s Fire District No. 1 showed how quickly a dried out Christmas tree can go up in flames.

This past Saturday (Dec. 15) the firefighters held a demonstration. When you watch the video, you'll notice that in under two minutes, the entire make-shift living room is engulfed in flames.

Here are some Christmas tree fire safety tips from Today:

  • Inspect lights first
  • Never overload a circuit
  • Turn off all lights and decorations before leaving the house or going to bed
  • Use a GFCI
  • Keep your tree hydrated
  • Use space heaters with care
  • You can never have enough smoke detectors
  • Keep batteries in all of your carbon monoxide detectors
  • Don't use flimsy extension cords
  • Use caution when decorating with candles
  • Get flame without the fire


More From Classic Rock 105.1