Injuries, penalties, and turnover doomed the Saints on Sunday afternoon in Kansas City. As the Saints fell to the Chiefs 27-21. Over the course of the first half alone, the Saints lost tackle Terron Armstead and guard Senio Kelemete, committed 7 penalties for 50 yards and threw a pick six. Despite climbing to with-in three points of the Chiefs late in the game, a Mark Ingram fumble and costly Nick Fairley unsportsmanlike penalty sealed the Saints fate.

New Orleans committed nine penalties for 70 yards.

The Saints struck first, embarking on a 10 play, 80-yard drive that culminated with a Drew Brees touchdown pass to Brandon Cooks. But the Chiefs would go on to control the rest of the half.

Alex Smith and the Chiefs then immediately answered, marching 75-yards in just five plays to tie the score at 7. Spencer Ware took a short pass from Smith and scampered 46 yards for the touchdown. Kansas City’s defense then added a score of its own to give the Chiefs a 14-7 lead.

With the Saints marching, Drew Brees looked for Willie Sneed over the middle but instead the pass was intercepted by Daniel Sorensen. Sorensen then raced 48-yards to complete the pick-six. Kansas City added onto its lead with 4:58 to play in the second quarter.

Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith threw his second touchdown pass of the half when he hit rookie Tyreek Hill for a 38-yard score. At the half, the Saints found themselves down two scores, 21-7.

Not ready to give in the Saints took the second half kickoff and then methodically drove 75-yards in 14 plays to cut the Kansas City lead to 21-14. The drive which lasted 8:03 was capped off by a Mark Ingram three-yard touchdown grab.

The Chiefs answered by adding three to push their lead to 24-14. Former Tulane kicker Ciaro Santos connected from 39-yards out.

Drew Brees then guided the Saints on another long drive and had the Saints deep into Chief territory before another turnover killed the drive that could have seen the Saints potentially cut the Kansas City lead to three. Running back Mark Ingram took the handoff from the Kansas City 13, picked up six yards but coughed up the ball and the Chiefs recovered.

While the Chiefs didn’t turn the Ingram turnover into points, the fumble cost the Saints an opportunity for any points. That missed opportunity proved to be huge when late in the fourth quarter Brees hit Brandon Coleman for a 10-yard score. But instead of being tied or taking the lead, the score instead cut the Kansas City lead to three, 24-21.

The Chiefs would add another field goal with 28 seconds to play. Giving the Chiefs a 27-21 lead and forcing the Saints to have to score a touchdown in less than 30 seconds. Unfortunately for Saints fans Brees and the offense were unable to make any magic happen and the clock ran out, giving Kansas City the win.

While the game did not go the Saints way, Drew Brees did become the first player in NFL history to throw for 300 yards in at least 100 games.

More From Classic Rock 105.1