New Orleans mayor LaToya Cantrell held a press conference on Friday, September 11, (see video below) and expanded on whether fans will be able to attend upcoming New Orleans Saints games in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. As she acknowledged how excited the city is to have professional football games coming back, she also said now is the time to practice civic responsibility. Cantrell said she would not allow an event to happen with 25,000 or more gathered in one place to possibly become a "super spreader" for coronavirus.

Although no fans will be allowed in the Superdome this Sunday, September 13, as the Saints take on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, there was hope that things might change for the next home game on September 27 against the Green Bay Packers. Cantrell said this morning that she will not allow fans in the game, even though the state had already given approval for fans to attend the second home game of the season. And yesterday NOPD and the City of New Orleans stated that tailgating and gatherings downtown for this Sunday's game would be prohibited.

Governor John Bel Edwards is moving Louisiana into Phase 3 re-opening as of today, (Friday, September 11) to ease some restrictions due to the coronavirus pandemic. He stated at a press conference last month that the game plan was to hopefully have fans in the seats to cheer on the Saints, but that could change if the COVID numbers increased.

 

 

 

."}">