New Orleans will be moving back to a "modified Phase 1", which will limit businesses to 25% normal capacity and restrict gatherings to only the people in your household.

Mayor LaToya Cantrell made the announcement yesterday and those new restrictions will go into effect at 6:00 am on January 8. The new restrictions basically cut the number of people allowed at restaurants, stores, and other businesses in half.

This news comes as the Louisiana Department of Health released Wednesday's numbers, which were all-time highs for number of cases reported in a single day and hospitalizations statewide. An additional 6,882 new cases and 46 new deaths were reported yesterday.

"Last week, our positivity rate was 5.5%, we've gotten our numbers for this week and we're up to 10.4%," Cantrell said. "You can't make it up. It's real."

Cantrell said the new restrictions will be in effect for three weeks. During that period, city leaders will evaluate the latest data to determine if it's safe to reopen businesses further.

Things We Are Ready To Do Again in 2021