A burner left on overnight started a fire at the IHOP on Ambassador Caffery Parkway.

Lafayette fire investigators say they got the call at 5:17 a.m. Thursday. When firefighters arrived, the fire was out, but the dining room area was filled with smoke.

According to investigators, the fire started around 1:30 a.m., two-and-a-half hours after employees left the restaurant. Investigators say the fire started when the burner ignited grease inside the griddle. The kitchen's hood suppression system extinguished the fire about 50 minutes after it began.

The kitchen sustained major fire damage. Officials say the restaurant will remain closed until cleanup and repairs are made.

7 Places to Find the Best Boudin in Acadiana


10 Top-Grossing Chain Restaurants in America


Nine Restaurants We Need In Lafayette

More From Classic Rock 105.1