It was a dramatic day yesterday for the six people who were able to make it out of a burning home.

Two people jumped from their bedroom windows, and several of them were able to get out of an exit door.

The residence at 1000 East Vermilion Street housed six people, and they were all inside at the time of the blaze.

Fortunately, no one was injured due to the fire that started in the kitchen, and the Lafayette Fire Department spokesman Alton Trahan says the fire has been ruled an accident.

When one person who was living on the second floor noticed smoke, and so everyone was able to get out of the building.

The first floor of the building has a boxing gym while the upstairs is were the people had their housing.

It took forty minutes for firefighters to bring the blaze under control.

The fire was reported just before 3 a.m. Sunday morning.