Awesome Free Outdoor Activities in Louisiana
As we are enjoying summer here in the Bayou State, I am always on the look out for discounted or free outdoor activities. We are the Sportsman's Paradise and home to some of the best free festivals in the world, so we don't have to go far for some unique recreational fun.
Only in Louisiana has a wonderful list to start us on our adventures with these awesome free outdoor activities. Enjoy!
- Cohn Memorial Arboretum - 16 acres of beautiful trees, gardens and walking trails - 12206 Foster Road, Baton Rouge
- Bayou Rum Distillery - free tours of one of the largest privately owned rum distilleries in the nation - 20909 Frontage Road, Lacassine
- Erath 4th of July Festival - 5 days of one of the biggest Independence Day festivals in the state, they are celebrating their 80th year of fun!
- Downtown Natchitoches - the oldest permanent settlement in Louisiana, and the location for filming of the classic 'Steel Magnolias' movie
- Barataria Preserve - 23,000 acres of beautiful swamps, bayous and marshes and wetlands. - Marrero
- Creole Nature Trail - a beautiful 180 mile drive that also covers 26 miles of beaches throughout the state. The visitor center is located in Lake Charles
- Live After Five - Baton Rouge, Downtown Alive - Lafayette, Music & Market - Opelousas - almost every community has free live music on Fridays in the spring and fall. Concerts at Couret also has free music during the summer months
- The Tammany Trace - 31 miles through 5 cities in St Tammany Parish, these paved walkways take you through the natural beauty of the parish
- Uncle Sam's Jam - Lafayette - July 3 in downtown Lafayette. Free music and fireworks to celebrate Independence Day
- R.W. Norton Art Gallery - 40 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds surround this gallery featuring American and European Art - 4747 Creswell Avenue, Shreveport
- Movies & Moonbeams - free movies under the stars from April - October - 101 Crockett Street, Shreveport
- Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden - over 50 sculptures throughout 5 acres of beautiful landscaping - 1 Collins Diboll Circle, New Orleans
- Sunset on the Bayou - take your pick around Acadiana - Atchafalaya Basin, Lake Martin, even a view from the Mississippi River is beautiful at sunset in the Bayou State